We have been far to busy to spend much time on the blog. So while I wait for Rob to get out of meetings on our last night here, I thought I could use the time to catch up a bit.
On our first evening, our guides Edgar, Oriol, and Daniel, take us to a quiet neighborhood bar on the corner to have a beer, get to know each other, and plan a bit for tomorrow; I had worried how I would occupy myself with no transportation and not much Spanish; but apparently the Catalan philosophy is to be a perfect host: they have lots of ideas of things they’d like to do with both of us; I am included and my input requested.
Afterward they take us on a short walk around Girona, ending up at the restaurant they have chosen for the evening. While we are discussing what to have, a gentleman walks in with an armful of roses, sees me (at this point about the only woman in the small place), and convinces Rob to buy 2 red and a white one ~ after a bit of dickering and advice from Oriol on how much NOT to pay.
Edgar, Oriol and Daniel do the ordering ~ a huge selection of “usual Catalan” food served family style and two different wines to try: two different ensaladas/salads; a cheese platter with about 10 different cheeses; a cold cut platter with jam (Spanish ham) and several other kinds of meat; Catalan bread (slices of a sort of a French bread that have been rubbed with a half tomato and then soaked in “true” olive oil; three different croquetas (jam/ham, pollo/chicken & bollet/mushroom). Then dessert; we convince them to order just one thing to share, although Daniel, who is a pretty big guy, decides we need two servings of the fresh cheese ice cream with ratafia sauce. Wow; delicious.
We all return to the hotel, and decide to meet at 10:00 in the morning for a tour of a few places they want us to see.
Brush teeth, find PJs; and finally, allow ourselves to become horizontal; is there a better thing than a wonderful bed after being up almost 24 hours with the only sleep in an airplane seat?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment