Thursday, November 19, 2009

What time did you say it is?

After what seems like only a few hours, there is a loud noise; Rob figures out first that it is the room phone, and manages to answer fairly coherently. From what I can hear it is one of the guys. Rob says we’ll meet them at 10:00 (I’m trying to figure out why they are calling so early since we agreed on 10:00); then he says “What?! I don’t think we’ll make it.” I’m just wanting to sleep more without moving. I can hear the voice on the other end saying that they don’t mind waiting, and Rob agreeing and asking do I want to come, too.
Apparently it is already 10:30, and we have hardly moved for over 10 hours. So another mad dash around the room, and before we know it we are awake (mostly), and ready to go on an adventure. The three guys all have mercy on us and take us by a little cafe for coffee and a croissant, after which I at least begin to feel human and glad I came.
We head to Pubol, a small village about 30 minutes from Girona; here is the castle Savadore Dali bought for his wife and muse, who was known simply as "Gala."












The entrance to the Gala-Dali Museum










A beautiful mirror in Gala's
bedroom offered an opportunity
for a photo with both of us.














Apparently Rob would not be
able to live here
(see the notice over the door).













Then we drove on to see a set of ruins being reconstructed on the coast where the Greeks arrived 1100 years ago, claiming the area for their own. It is an amazing thing to realize that this was built so long ago and without the machines we use today. The act of moving the stones, much less aligning and stacking them, is almost incomprehensible.

Greek ruins on the coast near Girona:















































Both places are absolutely intriguing and we haven't enough time at either one ~ we are supposed to be back in Girona by 1500 for Rob’s presentation, and we don’t even leave the ruins for lunch back in Girona until 1459. Oriol tells Rob not to worry: since Rob is the one giving the presentation, when he gets there they will do it, and assures us that the Catalans are much more relaxed about schedules.

No comments:

Post a Comment