Thursday, November 26, 2009

Sunday evening

After an amazing day sight seeing, Rob and the others went to the fire center for him to give his work shop. They dropped me back at the hotel, and I began work on this blog. Still pretty jet lagged, it was nice to have a bit of quiet time in the room before heading out to dinner. I am listening to the sounds of a quiet Sunday afternoon. All the shops are closed, but I hear the voices of people out for a stroll, chatting in Catalan, someone whistling, and a nearby church bell chiming every quarter hour.
I had thought I might take a walk and a short nap while I waited; but I decided to work on the blog, and in the meantime it has grown dark (about 1730). I still have another hour or so before they return, so it would not be a good thing to nap now.
After only a short time, I am sure that I will be unready to leave on Friday ~ there is so much to learn and see and do right here in Girona. Finally everyone returns from the workshop, and we head out for dinner. This time they have chosen a restaurant called "The River," which didn't strike me as particularly significant since Girona is the "city of four rivers." However, when they bring the menu, all the sandwiches are named for Bruce Springsteen songs; apparently the owner is somewhat of a fanatic about The Boss, and there are posters, album covers and other memorabilia inside, and Springsteen is playing on the sound system.
On the walk back to the hotel, we experience another bit of a cultural warp: to our surprise, tucked into a lovely 500- or so year old building is an Apple (computer) Store. It came in handy the next day when we realized with only one power converter, Rob or I one would be left unable to charge during the days he had to be at the conference.
Somehow, we just didn't expect to see an Apple Store in this part of the city.






The street on which our hotel was located. The city had already put up some Christmas lights, but they would not be lighted until the first week in December.














Our hotel, Hotel Ciutat de Girona. We had the corner room right above the entry ~ very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment